Cascarilla powder is a magickal ingredient with amazing protective abilities, made of one simple ingredient: powdered eggshells and has been used in the Hoodoo tradition and Santeria for protection and cleansing. The powder is often spread around the inside or outside of the house to protect the space. Cascarilla has two primary abilities: to expel negative energy in all its forms and to create a barrier between the natural and supernatural realms. It’s roots can be traced back to the native traditions of West Africa.
We are science witches at Alainn Witchery, and so we dug up a kids’ science project of making homemade chalk, realizing that it is basically Cascarilla powder in writable form. Unfortunately, eggshell chalk can’t be used on your regular inside blackboards, it just doesn’t work, but it is perfect for drawing outdoors on driveways, sidewalks and footpaths. We use ours with the Doormat For Home Protection Spell.
1. Clean eggshells thoroughly making sure that you remove the membrane and leave them to dry.
2. Once the eggshells are completely dry, place the eggshells in a mortar and pestle (or you could even use a rock on concrete for this part).
3. Grind the eggshells until you have a fine, fine powder. Be prepared to put in a lot of elbow grease for this part – it can take a while!
4. Place your eggshell powder into a bowl and add 2 teaspoons of flour and enough hot water to make a stiff paste.
5. Add some food dye to your eggshell paste.
6. Place your eggshell paste on some thick paper towel.
7. Roll the paper towel into a tube to help you mould your chalk into a long tube shape. You could also use silicone ice cube tray moulds here to get a fun shape for your chalk.
8. When you have your desired shape, leave the chalk to dry for a few days. That’s right, a few days, but it’s totally worth it, believe me.
9. Once your chalk stick has completely dried, you can now draw your magick!